West Yost served as the Owner’s Agent for the landmark Davis-Woodland Water Supply Project (DWWSP). The DWWSP supplements the existing groundwater-only systems throughout the region with a new primary surface water supply, serving over two-thirds of the urban population in Yolo County. The project facilities include a new intake on the Sacramento River, over 14 miles of transmission pipelines, a new 30 mgd capacity Water Treatment Plant, and distribution pipelines delivering treated water to the Cities of Woodland and Davis, and to the UC Davis campus. As the Owner’s Agent, West Yost represented the JPA owners to first define the project and develop the most appropriate project delivery approach that best allocated project risk while ensuring the highest quality project. After leading the project partners through a thorough evaluation of project delivery approaches against numerous criteria, the Design-Build-Operate (DBO) approach was found to be the most beneficial. West Yost then developed the overall DBO procurement strategy, designed and implemented a multi-stage procurement process, and negotiated a long-term service agreement between the JPA and the successful DBO team.
West Yost completed successful negotiations of the DBO agreement with the highest ranked DBO team. West Yost continues to provide contract management oversight, budgeting and cost control, master and basic project scheduling, and team member/subconsultant coordination.
Notable Features of the Project
- Led a multi-factor evaluation process to select the most appropriate project delivery approach
- Regional solution to long-term water supply sustainability
- Developed the overall DBO procurement strategy
- Developed the conceptual technical and organizational framework for the water supply project
- Designed and oversaw a stakeholder outreach program
- Supported environmental permitting efforts
- Designed and implemented a two-stage DBO procurement process (RFQ/RFP), which included conceptual design guidelines as well as technical performance specifications
- Evaluated qualifications and proposal submittals from technical, financial, legal, and organizational perspectives
- Guided the development of the service agreement between the JPA and DBO team
- Interfaced with JPA financial and legal experts
- Currently we are providing contract administration and oversight during operations of the water treatment facilities