Downtown Sewer Replacement Project
City of Yuba City, California
West Yost designed the relocation, replacement, and/or rehabilitation of existing sewers in the City’s downtown residential area to address structural deficiencies, maintenance issues, and system reliability. The existing sewers were installed nearly 100 years ago and could not be cleaned or maintained due to pipe fragility and lack of access. The challenges of replacing these backyard sewers included access, public outreach, homeowner coordination, design approach, and construction methods for rerouting sewer laterals.
The majority of the project pipelines were installed by open cut construction to install new sewer mains in the existing streets. In areas where the pipe could not be relocated or was already located in the street or alley, West Yost used cured-in-place pipe to rehabilitate the pipelines.
“Your team has done an exceptional job for us, and everything went smoothly. Coordination with the property owners was really top-notch.”
— Mr. George Musallam, Public Works Director, City of Yuba City, regarding the City’s Downtown Sewer Replacement Project
Project Finishes Strong with Effective Construction Management — West Yost also provided construction management, engineering services during construction, and community liaison support for construction activities for the City’s Downtown Sewer Replacement Project. Key elements of the construction management approach included:
- Regular updates to residents and businesses, community groups, and emergency services.
- Providing public outreach and engineering liaisons who were available to work directly with the contractor and residents or businesses on issues that arose during construction.
- Timely response to requests for information as each property is a unique installation.
- California Water Environment Association, Northern Sacramento Valley Section 2014 Engineering Achievement Award
- American Public Works Association, Sacramento Chapter 2015 Project of the Year, Environment (Sewer) Category