District Engineering and Collection System Management
West Bay Sanitary District (WBSD), California
West Yost has provided interim District Manager services to WBSD for over two years. During this time, a number of critical sewer management and regulatory compliance projects have been completed, including: a Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP); Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB) annual reports; SSMP audits; system condition rating of pipes; development of prioritized capital improvement program (CIP); maintenance planning support and CMMS optimization; and State Revolving Fund (SRF) funding support.
Critical documents prepared by West Yost staff in support of the District’s sanitary sewer system management included:
- SSMP. West Yost completed a peer review and then updated the WBSD SSMP, as required to meet both RWQCB SSMP and Statewide waste discharge requirements. West Yost completed follow-up activities including evaluating and recommending improvements to the District’s CCTV inspection and maintenance processes, and developing a prioritized CIP.
- 2008 and 2009 RWQCB annual reports. West Yost evaluated 2009 and prior sanitary sewer overflow (SSO) data and compiled the annual SSO reports in accordance with SSMP requirements.
- 2008 and 2009 SSMP audits. West Yost completed the first and second annual audits of the WBSD SSMP, as required by RWQCB SSMP guidelines.
- Condition rating of pipes using NASSCO PACP. West Yost reviewed historical condition ratings recorded in the City’s CMMS system, and evaluated the accuracy of these ratings when compared to other known system condition information. Incorrect or incomplete ratings were re-assigned based on observations recorded in existing CCTV video data.
- Development of prioritized CIP. West Yost developed a criticality high (1- to 3- year) CIP based on SSO, CCTV inspection, and pipeline maintenance records from 2004 to 2009. CIP development utilized a weighted decision process that elevated and accelerated the most critical projects.
- SRF funding support. West prepared loan application documents for several projects that were previously designed and then delayed due to budget concerns.
- Maintenance planning support and CMMS optimization. West Yost completed a detailed evaluation of existing CMMS data in GBA, and worked with WBSD staff to streamline maintenance schedules for nearly 5,000 pipe segments in order to provide the needed focus on pipelines with SSO and infiltration and overflow issues. The new schedules are currently in use by maintenance staff.