Principal Engineer, Infrastructure Design – Any CA Office
West Yost provides high-quality client services in water supply, water and wastewater treatment, groundwater, stormwater, and recycled water. Our professionals provide complete water engineering, science, and technology services from nine offices in California, Oregon, and Arizona – bringing innovative and collaborative approaches to deliver higher value projects and programs.
We are the largest engineering firm located solely on the West Coast, providing services only to the water sector. Our staff includes certified or registered professionals in civil, mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering; water and wastewater treatment planning and design; geology, engineering geology, and hydrogeology; architecture; GIS; land surveying; control system cybersecurity; and construction management and inspection services.
The Principal Engineer in Infrastructure Design is responsible for engaging with clients and staff on technical issues associated with pipeline infrastructure and pump station infrastructure projects that can include water, wastewater, recycled water and stormwater conveyance. This includes managing and engaging in project work from project planning stages, preliminary design, design, and support services during construction.
This position represents achievement at the highest level in technical expertise, design, project planning, project engineering, management, client relations, and/or business development. The PE is also expected to mentor Senior and Associate Engineers and other subordinate staff. Maintain accurate records of time spent on each job and phase. May require frequent out-of-office travel to other offices and/or client offices with occasional evening and overnight assignments.
Other duties include:
- Lead on engineering designs, preparing reports, construction drawings, specifications, and calculations for various projects. Review product designs and drawings for compliance with engineering principles, firm standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Establish and foster client relations and develops proposals and budgets. Meet with clients to determine recommended project scope, estimate staffing requirements and fee for review and prepare for signature by Vice President.
- Develop and maintain client contact before, during, and after project completion. Cultivate client relationships through organizational involvement and by direct contact.
- Use technical knowledge to develop technical studies/reports and designs that include watershed management, surface drainage, storm drains, water supply and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, and recycled water production, distribution, and use.
- Maintain four-month workload projections for all projects under personal management. Work closely with other engineers and managers to balance workload demands amongst current staff.
- Make recommendations to senior management as to additional staff and resource needs. Assign staff and other resources, working with other managers to balance overall company workload and best utilize personnel.
- Prepare and conduct technical review of staff, reports, correspondence, calculations and prepare technical recommendations. Prepare opinions of probable cost on current and new designs. Develops fee estimates for all project types and ensures projects are delivered on schedule and within scope and budget.
- Act as Project Manager or team member on major design and construction projects. Effectively direct projects from planning through completion.
- Mentor Engineer staff on technical matters and procedures and act as a technical resource
- Provide quality assurance for plans and contract documents for construction of improvements within specialty area.
- Determine clients’ invoicing requirements and work with Accounting staff to prepare timely monthly invoices. Prepare summary billing descriptions if appropriate or required by client.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in in Civil/Environmental Engineering.
- 10+ years’ experience in civil engineering consulting or engineering management.
- Excellent writing and communication skills are essential.
- Experience with CAD and GIS.
- PE licensure in the State of California, or ability to obtain PE licensure within 6 months of hire. PE licensure in other states that firm is actively practicing may also be considered.
- Emphasis on environmental/water resources engineering.
- Ability to process engineering calculations unaided, compile plans and organize basic designs.
- Demonstrated ability to managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Proven ability to write technical information.
- Contributions to technical journals encouraged.
- Knowledge of mastery of regulatory compliance issues as they relate to design specialty area(s). These may include CEQA compliance, domestic water regulations, wastewater discharge permitting, NPDES permitting, Caltrans encroachment permitting, wetlands issues, streambed alteration permits, building codes, municipal zoning and development regulations, among others.
West Yost Associates is and Equal Opportunity Employer, employee owned, and offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.